Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Rookie Moves

As parents we don't always have it all together, at least I don't. Some days, I feel like I really succeeded and can give myself a pat on the back. And on other days, I feel like I have failed. I couldn't juggle it all and felt like I needed to apologize to my son for failing him. I guess that's all very normal. We can't always be super heros and get it all right. That being said, this weekend I made what I would call two rookie moves. Things as a mom I should have known better than to do. This is my first rodeo though so I get to make some mistakes along the way.

So, we are always looking for new and fun things to do with Hatcher. Something to change it up a bit and give him some new adventures to experience. My best friend, Becky, gave me the idea to do shaving cream paint in the bath tub. It was super easy and fun. I'll include the "recipe" for how to make it below. After dinner, we got everything together and got Hatch into the tub and introduced the paint. He LOVED it and had a blast! We put the paint into a 6 cup muffin tin I picked up at the Dollar Tree. Once all the paint was gone, he wanted to hold the tin and fill it up with water and then pour it out. I thought there was no harm in this and let him have at it. Well, apparently there was a sharp edge and he cut his middle finger. It was a small cut and wasn't very deep but this cut bled forever!



So here's rookie move #1...I had ZERO band aids in my house! Are you kidding me? I'm a mom now, band aids are a given to have in the medicine cabinet. Yep, I had none...zilch...nada. Total mom failure! So while my son bled all over his bath towel, changing table, pajamas and had wiped blood all down the walls of his bedroom my husband had to run to the drug store to buy bandaids. I have to hand it to Hatcher, he was a trooper. He never cried. He struggled at first to sit still so mommy could apply pressure until Daddy got back but he managed. Thomas & Friends and a cold cup of milk to the rescue!!

Y'all this finger bled for an hour & a half. This little bitty cut bled like he had chopped his finger off! He was bleeding through band aids and it was way past bedtime. Thankfully, Johny's cousin is a nurse and we texted her and she told us what to go buy to stop the bleeding. So finally, after two trips to the store the bleeding finally stopped and we could go to bed. So, lesson learned here...NEVER EVER make the mistake of not having band aids in your home with an accident prone toddler running around!

Rookie move #2...taking your child to church without a change of clothes. In my defense, I honestly thought we were past this. It hasn't happened in at least 6 months. We are no longer using a diaper bag and instead he got a back pack for Christmas. You just can't fit as much in it so yesterday morning I chose to forego a change of clothes. Big mistake! During his two hour stay in the nursery, where I believe he cried a large portion of the time he also wet through his diaper and soaked his clothes. Thankfully, the church had some spare clothes and found something that somewhat fit him. Poor baby! Lesson learned here, always pack a change of clothes for your child. Things happen and you should always be prepared!

So I went easy on myself after two rookie moves. I laughed it off and realized that sometimes we just don't have it all together. I don't have it all together most times but I can fake it with the best of them.

Shaving cream paint recipe: Here's what you'll need.
-Muffin tin
-Baster brush
-Shaving cream (I bought the type for sensitive skin and it was unscented)
-Food coloring

How to make it:
-Squirt shaving cream into muffin tins and then put one to two drops of food coloring into it. Mix well with a tooth pick.

I bought my muffin tin, shaving cream & baster brush at the Dollar Tree & spent less than $5. Hatcher had so much fun and it cleaned up very easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment